Thursday, November 2, 2017

CLASSROOM MANAGEMENT PLAN



CLASSROOM MANAGEMENT PLAN
by Randy O. Canales



Philosophical Statement

I want my learners learn to live life productively and meaningfully with deep sense of values in the 21st century. I want them to be equipped with the essential knowledge, skills, attitudes and values that they need to face the challenges and adapt to the changes of time. I want them to learn to build bridges of respect to social and cultural diversities, common good, social accountability and responsibility, nationalism, love and peace. I want them to be able to find ways to remain strong and sturdy, despite the vulnerabilities of life.

As a facilitator of learning, I want to make my learners actively engaged in the teaching-learning process, and feel the welcoming, safe, comfortable and friendly atmosphere in the class. I believe that by doing so, their sense of belongingness is uplifted and their sense of importance is heightened. I want them to discover their potentials and find their true flow. I will help them nurture their respective flows and make use of that flow to improve themselves, the people around them, the country, and the world. Their respective flow or calling in life can be their greatest contribution to the civilization.

I believe the learning environment must be conducive in order to encourage learners to soar high to progress. The classroom must be an enabling factor for learners to grow and develop. Everything on it must be able to contribute to learning, including myself. 

I stand on the premise that it takes a village to educate the child. Synergized efforts strengthen education that is the greatest equalizer and has the power to cut the cycle of poverty. Furthermore, I imbibe the idea that learning is not confined in a four-walled room. The whole world is a classroom where everybody can be a teacher to anyone who is willing to learn.
   


Rules and Procedures

I believe that the classroom milieu should be friendly where everyone respects one another in the utmost sense of sincerity. I also believe on having rules in the class that everyone should be guided of and follow.

As what I am doing at the beginning of every school year, I will continue to have a democratic atmosphere in the class by letting the learners participate in the formulation of class rules, and taking part in decision-making. It became my practice every start of the school year to group the learners, give them some group dynamics and let them brainstorm about questions I prepared such as: How can I help maintain the cleanliness and orderliness of the classroom, its furniture, facilities, and the surroundings? How can I keep harmonious relationship with classmates, teachers, friends and schoolmates? What will I do to maximize learning? How can I avoid absenteeism?

A creative presentation of responses follows. Their responses become my basis in formulating class rules. Learners then create a right hand sketch with their names and signatures to signify their agreement to the rules. The rules are printed on sheets of paper and posted on the wall to remind everyone to follow the rules from time to time.

For most activities involving their participation, I solicit ideas from the learners on how to go through them. This democratic style in establishing rules and procedures is helpful of instilling to the learners the responsibility, civic-consciousness and leadership.



Classroom Arrangement
         
          For me tables and chairs arrangement should not be permanent. It must warrant flexibility to provide easy rearranging system for learning activities. Chairs and tables should be movable to facilitate working by pair, small group, big group or total group. Sometimes it can be aligned by columns and rows. Sometimes, grouped. Sometimes, V or U shape. The classroom space must be maximized for learning activities.

          I want a print-rich classroom. Learners will accumulate a lot of learning from prints that they always see like posters, quotations, charts, pictures, organizers, and others. There must also be learning boards for different disciplines where the children can gain additional information to substantiate and reinforce learning. There must also be a portfolio area where the learners can exhibit their works.

          The classroom should also provide space for materials and technologies that can be utilized for the teaching-learning episodes. A bank of instructional materials should be in place. Modern technology like projectors, computers, TV and audio should be present. Also present in the classroom is a collection of children’s favorite books and references gathered in a nook.



Misbehavior Interventions

If the learners deviate from the agreed terms, I try to solve it at the classroom within my capacity. I would talk to the child and listen to his claims in a manner that will make him feel still respected and valued despite any mistake. I would make the child feel welcome, so that it would be easier for me too to analyze how to treat the situation, and find ways to help the learner correct the wrongdoing.

If learners quarrel, I would heartily listen to both sides so that I will be able to have informed decision on the behavior measure that I must take.

I would also ask help from parents and school officials to work with me hand-in-hand in disciplining the children in subtle manner, so that they won’t get embarrassed. 


Classroom Safety

          I believe that safety is an important factor to consider. Thus in a classroom, safety must be consistently observed in physical arrangements of furniture, equipment and others, and in the conduct of class and school activities.

          Safety measures on the use of electrical equipment, laboratory apparatuses, and instructional materials should be made known to learners. Doors, ways and façade should not be obstructed with unnecessary belongings to facilitate easy passage during emergencies. Cabinets and hanging furniture should be well-placed.

          Learners and I also need to participate to hazard drills in school so that everyone knows what to do during undesirable circumstances.

          In doing class and school activities, learners’ safety against whether condition, places to go or venue, food and water safety should also be considered.
         
          Moreover, I want to have a classroom that is safe not only in terms of physical attributes but also social and emotional such as safety from bullying, maltreatment, stereotyping and bad labeling.



Student Celebration
         
          Students’ milestones are worthy of celebration. Big or small successes are occasions of motivation that would enable them to do even better.

          Learners who manifest significant improvement in their products, performances, and behavior need to be recognized and be given special mention through praises, acknowledgements, and encouraging gestures.

          Honor pupils for a quarter or school year and winners of contests should be recognized through awards in a school assembly, flag ceremonies or significant events.




Reflection

Several factors affect learning, and classroom management is one.

In making this classroom management plan, I realized the importance of careful planning in order to effectively manage our classroom including its furniture, equipment, instructional materials, entrance and exits, and friendly atmosphere safe against social and emotional threats.

There are significant insights about classroom I learned from crafting the plan and feedbacks from school principal and supervisor:

1.   Classroom management is a blend of effective management of physical, social and emotional factors in order to have a welcoming and wholesome class environment.

2.   Careful planning contributes a lot to learning successes.

3.   Although rules and procedures are set, misbehavior may happen anytime. Thus, being proactive helps a lot in maintaining positive behaviour.

4.   I, as a teacher, must be consistent in reminding my learners about the rules and procedures they have agreed.

5.   Class rules must also be communicated to the school officials and parents.

6.   Modelling of the desired behavior by the teacher to the learners. Pupils will follow my deeds, not my words.

7. I am not alone in instilling positive behavior. I can work hand-in-hand with parents, school officials and the community.

8. Learners must be involved in formulating class rules and be given opportunities to express their ideas about class/school activities. This is a democratic classroom management that instill responsibility, civic consciousness and leadership.

9. Classroom's entrance and exits must be free from any unnecessary obstructions to facilitate easy and safe passage in cases of emergency.

10. Learners and teachers should be made aware what to do and where to go during emergencies.





Note: Submitted to SEAMEO INNOTECH as a requirement for GURO21 COURSE 1 via iFlex 




No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Create a Class in Google Classroom?

 How to Create a Class in Google Classroom? 1. Click Google Chrome browser. 2. Type and enter in the omnibox "classroom.google.com"...